Time to Harvest and make Fine Wines
Benjamin Franklin asked, “Is wine a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy?” That indeed is the question...
Our hot summer days have ripened the grapes at racing speeds and the pickers and wine makers are pumping.
· One barrel of wine equals 1 800 glasses of wine
· A ton of grapes makes about 720 bottles of wine
· One vine produces between 24 and 36 glasses of wine
· Each bottle of wine contains about 1,5kg of grapes
· There are between 35 and 60 clusters of grapes per vine
· One hectare of land is home to between 3 000 and 6 000 vines, and sometimes even up to 10 000
Did you know…?
· Today South Africa exports around 450 million litres of wine
· There are over 100,000 hectares of vineyard in South Africa
· South Africa is committed to sustainable wine farming
· South Africa is the 9th largest producer of wine in the world
· Chenin Blanc is the most widely planted variety in South Africa
Information sourced from Wines of South Africa